The High School season has come to close. The champagne is flowing at Shaker Heights and it was well earned. I hope the celebration runs all week or more. It is really just damn bad, that the backward, antiquated OHSSA has not joined USA HOCKEY. Allowing the States champions the opportunity to enter post season play for NATIONALS. Not to mention the issues we contend with having TWO governing bodies for Ohio HS players. Yawn...I'm so tired of saying this over and over again, but remember OHSSA is not the say so organization, they are paid by tax payer dollars. Citizens can ORDER them to join USA hockey, and Leave Nationwide, OHssa doesnt have say.
Ohio is Fortunate right now and has numerous former HS players performing well in the JR ranks, working toward one of the few NCAA D1 (1450) and D3 (2000)
1. Connor Frey D Amarillo Bulls. 41 games played 15 pts 5G 10 A +17 49PIM
Connor Frey has had an outstanding rookie year with the Bull's. The Bulls 40W 7L 7T again lead the NAHL south and the whole NAHL and have secured their #1 play off spot. Frey has been key contributor and the while Dennis Williams has cut off Freys amazing offensive abilities, it has given Frey the ability to further develop and expand his pure defensive prowess. Frey is one the most exciting players to come out of Ohio in a long time.
2. Nolan Culver Bay State Breakers. Culver just played some of his best Jr hockey and helped Bay State nearly defeat the New Jersy Hitmen in the EJHL semi-finals. Culver, who was out for 5 of Bays 8 play off appearance with a shoulder injury. Put up 4 points against the New Jersey Hitmen. It was here in game two vs the Hitmen where Culver first returned to the ice. Culver had 2 assists and the game winning goal in the 4-3 win. The following mini game ( a tie breaker, 1 20 min period) Culver netted another goal. A goal which stood in to over time when the Hitmen eventually won. As it stands Culver had 7 pts in his last 4 games with the Breakers.
3. Dalton Carter Norther Cyclones. Carter is having an amazing season and play off run with the Cyclones. The Cyclones 30-9-3 on the season have seen Carter since his arrival be solid and consistent on the blue line. with 34 regular season game, 6 goals 9 assists and 56 PIM Cater has established himself as a leading and desired blue liner. Ohio fans will remember that Carter has always been a utility player. Having good vision, hands and bomb of a shot as a FWD with State Champion Northview. He has aptly applied his offensive abilities to those of defensive. Now heading in to the AJHL championship game vs Wilks-bare, Carter has 2 G, and 4 A for 6 pts in 4 games and 4 PIM.
4. Austin Gryca please refer to this detailed write up on Ohio's top goalie prospect
5. Layne Martin- Dells Duck 21 games 10 goals 13 assits for 23 points. He has been a key contributor the Ducks success this year. The Ducks are deep in the play offs now and tomorrow the finals begin, where Martin and Ducks face off against Twin City Norther Lights.