Friday, January 13, 2012

One on One with Bowling Green High School's Reid Mankowski

Today I have great interview with Bowling Green Bobcat forward Reid Mankowski that is posted bellow.  I have found Reid to be one of the smartest, best skating forwards in the state.  A hard worker and relentless competitor.
Reid Mankowski



1. What do you like most about being a hockey player?

Reid-I'd say that my favorite part of being a hockey player is definitely going to practice everyday and having fun while working hard with the guys that I have a lot in common with.  Hockey has been the biggest part of my life forever and I just have a strong passion for the game.

2. What is your pregame ritual?

Reid-I have a few pregame rituals.  I always tape my hockey stick the same way and I pray at a certain time before games.  I do the same stretch with the same playlist on my iPod before every game.

3. What is the first thing you do if you have a good shift?
 Bad shift?

Reid-On a good shift I usually tell my line mates nice shift and say lets do the same thing next shift.  On a bad shift I usually think about what I did and how I'm going to have a better shift next time out.

Reid #18 Grey and Red, firing a shot in a game BGSU ice arena.  BGSU ice arena is the home of Bobcat hockey.


4. What has been like growing up in a family with an easily recognizable
hockey tradition?  In what ways do you believe it has helped your game?

Reid-My father has been a part of the game since way before I was born.  He knows way more about the game than anyone I know which helps significantly.  He sees the game from a spectator viewpoint and always has productive input on how to get better.

5. What are your favorite subjects? List 2 and explain why you enjoy them.

Reid-Math has been my favorite subject for as long as I can remember.  It has always clicked for me and I'm thinking about making math teaching a career.
 Science is my second favorite subject for the same reasons.  It has always clicked and I've always been fascinated with physics and why things are how they are.

6. What do you aspire to become as a professional person. Hockey, no hockey
please.

Reid-I'd like to become a math teacher if hockey doesn't take over my future.  I'd love to be a hockey coach or player but if that doesn't happen then I want to teach math to young or middle age kids. 

7. What is your current GPA, are you taking any honors courses, doing an
volunteer work?

Reid- I have a 3.75 GPA and so far in my first semester of my senior year I have a 4.2 GPA.  Currently, I'm taking an honors geopolitics class and have taking honors English and social studies over the course of high school.  I volunteer with hockey camps and learn to play hockey.

8. Assuming you were fortunate enough to earn a college hockey scholarship,
and then able to pick which school. Who would be on your top 5. Why?

Reid-Michigan, Ohio State, and Miami would be my top three choices.  They are more local and I would get a great education along with playing hockey for a division one hockey team.  Four and five would be Boston University or Boston College.  I've always been a fan of both of these teams and they're two of the best college hockey programs in the country. 
Reid pictured on the far right, celebrating a Bobcat goal.

9. When you graduate this year, are you considering  advancing to Jr hockey?

Reid-Yes, I am definitely considering playing junior hockey as long as  I have a chance of playing hockey after juniors.

10. Do you have a game system? What is it, what are your 3 favorite games?

Reid-Yes, I have and xbox 360.  My favorite game is NHL 12 by far and I also enjoy Call of Duty MW3 and NCAA Football 12.

11. What is your favorite movie?

Reid-Miracle.

12. Favorite book?

Reid-The Great Gatsby.

Nate Gay, Reid Mankowski, Mason Mayberry, Spencer Calcamuggio and Tyler Nienow (left to right) best friends as they make their way to prom in 2011.


13. What do you most enjoy doing with your friends?

Reid- Going out to eat to watch and talk sports.


14. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Reid- I see my self going to a college getting my degree to become a math teacher and hopefully playing or coaching hockey at the same time.

Reid is pictured here playing for the Sylvania U18 Tier II team. A team headed to Nationals following the completion of the Ohio high School season.  Considering the composition of this Sylvania team, and their beating Team Cleveland to earn this trip to nationals.  I believe they have the tools to win it all. 
Thank you Reid for your time, and contributing to the Scouting Ohio High School Hockey blog.  Best of luck to you and the Bobcats with the remainder of the season, and the pre/post season.  I hope to catch up with you again later in the season.

Starting off the beginning of the year, I need to apologize to my readers.  The player rankings have been delayed, and I do not anticipate them being posted until February.  There have been numerous positive developments and I believe the popularity of the One on One interviews is making the blog better, especially with the soon to be posted One on One's with coaches from every level.  Stay tuned for those.